Saturday, June 16, 2012

Math Car Game

I'm going to take a break today from posting my summer math series and give you a fun game to play while driving around. The family and I were heading to visit my brother today which is about a 40 minute drive and I was trying to keep myself entertained. I've been playing a math license plate game since college so I taught it to my husband today. It goes like this...

Here in NC our standard license plate has four digits. The goal is to use those four digits in any mathematical way to reach the number 10. You can:
- Add, Subtract, Multiply or Divide
- Use powers/exponents
- Use factorials
- Change the order of the numbers

You may not:
- Use any number more than once
- Leave any number out
- Place a decimal between digits

In the example above you can find more than one solution.

Solution 1: (3-2) + 1 + 8 = 10
Solution 2: (1^3) * 2 + 8
Solution 3: 8 + 3 - (1^2)

If you'd like to use these in the classroom you can design your own license plates using this site: http://www.autoplates.com/_custom/embossed-license-plates/index2.php!

1 comment: